Thursday, February 23, 2012

My alma mater begs for money

Yesterday I got a call from an area code I never get calls from anymore. I answered it cautiously.

"Hi this is Blah Blah Kim from the College Alumni Fund--"

"I don't have any money."

"Judging by the way you answered, you know we're asking for money. Due to budget cuts--"

"Seriously, if I had a nickel to spare I would throw it your way but I don't so I can't donate."

"Well, it would be a way to show appreciation to your school to donate a litt-"

"I really don't have any money. Like none. Maybe when I get some money I'll donate to you but I don't foresee making any for at least another 20 years so if you want to call me back in 20 years maybe my answer will change. If things change sooner than that I will call you."

Basically what I do for a living. 

She hung up midway through my explanation.

She wouldn't take no for an answer. Why would I donate in appreciation to a degree that is currently getting me nowhere? That was the most insulting part. Granted, the only people that call asking for money are current students. She's still full of "dreams," "hopes," and "aspirations." Maybe by the time she graduates those things will exist again but they sure as hell disappeared in 2008 and haven't made their return yet so I'll just chalk her insistence to college aged ignorance.

Happy Thursday.

1 comment: